Document Type : Original Article
Department of Physics, College of Science, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Zinc chalcogenide quantum dots (QDs) doped with paramagnetic transition metal ions (particularly ZnS:Mn QDs) are new attractive but rarely examined semiconductor nanocrystals that have excellent optical properties and enhanced thermal and environmental stability compared to Cd-based QDs. In this paper, we demonstrate a dye-based random laser (RL) with nonresonant feedback using ZnS:Mn QDs as the scattering medium that are dispersed in a Rhodamine B (RhB) dye solution. The nonlinear variation of the emission spectrum as a function of the excitation energy implies a random lasing threshold. Moreover, we observe a blue-shift of the emission wavelength by 10.3 nm and a 5.3 times decrease in the RL threshold by increasing the scatterer concentration. We also provide a theoretical discussion based on the diffusion theory for explaining the observed experimental results.
- N M Lawandy, R M Balachandran, A S L Gomes and E Sauvain, “Laser Action In Strongly Scattering Media,” Nature, Vol. 368 (1994) 436.
- H Cao, Y G Zhao, S T Ho, E W Seelig, Q H Wang and R P H Chang, “Random Laser Action In Semiconductor Powder,” Rev. Lett. Vol. 82 (1998) 2278.
- L Yang, G Feng, J Yi, K Yao, G Deng and S Zhou, “Effective random laser action in Rhodamine 6G solution with Al nanoparticles,” Opt. Vol. 50 (2011) 1816.
- S Xiao, T Li, D Huang, M Xu, H Hu, S Liu, C Wang and T Yi, “Random laser action from ceramic doped polymer films,” Modern Opt. Vol. 64 (2017) 1289.
- G D Dice, S Mujumdar and A Y Elezzabi, “Plasmonically enhanced diffusive and subdiffusive metal nanoparticle-dye random laser,” Phys. Lett. Vol. 86 (2005) 131105.
- S Ning, Z Wu, H Dong, L Ma, B Jiao, Le Ding, Li Ding and F Zhang, “The Enhanced Random Lasing From Dye Doped Polymer Films With Different-Sized Silver Nanoparticles,” Organic Electronics, Vol. 30 (2016) 165.
- Z Shang, Z Tao and L Deng, “Random lasing assisted by CuSO4 and Au nanoparticles in random gain systems,” Mater. Exp. Vol. 7 (2017) 1848.
- E Heydari, I P Santos, L M L Marzán and J Stumpe, “Nanoplasmonically-engineered random lasing in organic semiconductor thin films,” Nanoscale Hariz. Vol. 2 (2017) 261.
- B R Anderson, R Gunawidjaja and H Eilers, “Low-threshold and narrow linewidth diffusive random lasing in rhodamine 6G dye-doped polyurethane with dispersed ZrO2 nanoparticles,” Opt. Soc. Am. B Vol. 31 (2014) 2363.
- E Jimenez-Villar, V Mestre, P C de Oliveira, W M Faustino, D S Silva and G F de Sá, “TiO2@Silica nanoparticles in a random laser: Strong relationship of silica shell thickness on scattering medium properties and random laser performance,” Phys. Lett. Vol. 104 (2014) 081909.
- L Ye, J Lu, C Lv, Y Feng, C Zhao, Z Wang and Y Cui, “Random lasing action in magnetic nanoparticles doped dye solutions,” Commun. Vol. 340 (2015) 151.
- L A Moura, P I R Pincheira, L J Q Maia, A S L Gomes and C B de Araújo, “Two-color random laser based on a Nd3+ doped crystalline powder,” Luminescence, Vol. 181 (2017) 44.
- R B Silva, A F Silva, A M B Silva and C B de Araújo, “Bichromatic random laser from a powder of rhodamine-doped sub-micrometer silica particles,” Appl. Phys. Vol. 115 (2014) 043515.
- S G Revilla, M Zayat, R Balda, M A Saleh, D Levy and J Fernández, “Low threshold random lasing in dye-doped silica nano powders,” Exp. Vol. 17 (2009) 13202.
- B H Hokr, J N Bixler, M T cone, J D Mason, H T Beier, G D Noojin, G I Petrov, L A Golovan, R J Thomas, B A Rockwell and V V Yakovlev, “Bright emission from a random Raman laser,” Comm. Vol. 5 (2014) 1.
- A Consoli and C López, “Lasing optical cavities based on macroscopic scattering elements,” Scientific Reports, Vol. 7 (2017) 40141.
- T Zhai, X Zhang, Z Pang, X Su, H Liu, S Feng and L Wang, “Random laser based on waveguided plasmonic gain channels,” Nano Lett. Vol. 11 (2011) 4295.
- J Yin, G Feng, S Zhou, Ho Zhang, S Wang and H Zhang, “The effect of the size of Au nanorods on random laser action in a disordered media of ethylene glycol doped with Rh6G dye,” SPIE Nanophotonics VI, Vol. 9884 (2016) 988426.
- T Zhai, J Chen, L Chen, J Wang, L Wang, D Liu, S Li, H Liu and X Zhang, “A plasmonic random laser tunable through stretching silver nanowires embedded in a flexible substrate,” Nanoscale, Vol. 7 (2015) 2235.
- Q Chang, X Shi, X Liu, J Tong, D Liu and Z Wang, “Broadband plasmonic silver nanoflowers for high-performance random lasing covering visible region,” Nanophotonics, Vol. 6 (2017) 1151.
- A Yadav, L Zhong, J Sun, L Jiang, G J Cheng and L Chi, “Tunable random lasing behavior in plasmonic nanostructures,” Nano Convergence, Vol. 4 (2017) 1.
- A G Ardakani, P Rafieipour, “Using ZnO nanosheets grown by electrodeposition in random lasers as scattering centers: the effects of sheet size and presence of mode competition,” Opt. Soc. Am. B. Vol. 35 (2018) 1708.
- H Zhang, G Feng, H Zhang, C Yang, J Yin and S Zhou, “Random laser based on Rhodamine 6G (Rh6G) doped poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) films coating on ZnO nanorods synthesized by hydrothermal oxidation,” Results in Physics, Vol. 7 (2017) 2968.
- Y C Chen, C S Wang, T Y Chang, T Y Lin, H M Lin and Y F Chen, “Ultraviolet and visible random lasers assisted by diatom frustules,” Exp. Vol. 23 (2015) 16224.
- P K Roy, G Haider, H Lin, Y M Liao, C H Lu, K H Chen, L C Chen, W H Shih, C T Liang and Y F Chen, “Multicolor ultralow-threshold random laser assisted by vertical-graphene network,” Opt. Mater. Vol. 6 (2018) 1800382.
- S H Cheng, Y C Yeh, M L Lu, C W Chen and Y F Chen, “Enhancement of laser action in ZnO nanorods assisted by surface Plasmon resonance of reduced graphene oxide nanoflakes,” Exp. Vol. 20 (2012) 799.
- W C Liao, Y M Liao, C T Su, P Perumal, S Y Lin, W J Lin, C H Chang, H I Lin, G Haider, C Y Chang, S W Chang, C Y Tsai, T C Lu, T Y Lin and Y F Chen, “Plasmonic carbon-dot-decorated nanostructured semiconductors for efficient and tunable random laser action,” ACS Appl. Nano Mater. Vol. 1 (2018) 152.
- D Zhang, G Kostovski, C Karnutsch and A Mitchell, “Random lasing from dye doped polymer within biological source scatters: The pomponia imperatorial cicada wing random nanostructures,” Organic Electron. Vol. 13 (2012) 2342.
- H Cao, “Lasing in random media,” Waves Random Media. Vol. 13 (2003) R1-R39.
- H Cao, “Random lasers: development, features and applications,” and photonics news, Vol. 16 (2005) 24.
- F Luan, B Gu, A S. L Gomes, K Yong, S Wen and P N Prasad, “Lasing in nano-composite random media,” Nano Today, Vol. 10 (2015) 168.
- D V Churkin, S Sugavanam, I D Vatnik, Z Wang, E V Podivilov, S A Babin, Y Rao and S K Turitsyn, “Recent advances in fundamentals and applications of random fiber lasers,” Opt. Photon. Vol. 7 (2015) 516.
- X Du, H Zhang, H Xiao, P Ma, X Wang, P Zhou and Z Liu, “High-power random distributed feedback fiber laser: From science to application,” Phys (Berlin), Vol. 528 (2016) 649.
- S F Yu, “Electrically pumped random lasers,” Phys. D: Appl. Phys. Vol. 48 (2015) 483001.
- Y Chen, J Herrnsdorf, B Guilhabert, Y Zhang, I M Watson, E Gu, N Laurand and M D Dawson, “colloidal quantum dot random laser,” Exp. Vol. 19 (2011) 2996.
- Y Yung‐Chi, Z P Yang, J M Hwang, H C Su, J Y Haung, T N Lin, J L Shen, M H Lee, M T Tsai and Y J Lee, “Coherent and polarized random laser emissions from colloidal CdSe/ZnS quantum dots plasmonically coupled to ellipsoidal Ag nanoparticles,” Opt. Mat. Vol. 5 (2017) 1600746.
- M Cao, Y Zhang, X Song, Y Che, H Zhang, H Dai, G Zhang and J Yao, “Random lasing in a colloidal quantum dot-doped disordered polymer,” Exp. Vol. 24 (2016) 9325.
- C Gollner, J Ziegler, L Protesescu, D N Dirin, R T Lechner, G F Popovski, M Sytnyk, S Yakunin, S Rotter, A A Y Amin, C Vidal, C Hrelescu, T A Klar, M Kovalenko and W Heiss, “Random lasing with systematic threshold behavior in films of CdSe/CdS core/thick-shell colloidal quantum dots,” ACS Nano, Vol. 9 (2015) 9792.
- A K Augustine, P Radhakrishnan, V P N Nampoori and M Kailasnath, “Enhanced random lasing from a colloidal CdSe quantum dot-Rh6G system,” Laser Phys. Lett. Vol. 12 (2015) 0250061.
- L W Li, “Random lasing characteristics in dye-doped semiconductor CdS nanoparticles,” Laser Phys. Lett. Vol. 13 (2016) 015206.
- J Yi, G Feng, C Yang, H Zhang, K Yao and S Zhou, “18 μm random laser action based on Cr2+:ZnSe nanocrystalline particles,” Opt. Commun. Vol. 309 (2013) 170.
- T Takahashi, T Nakamura and S Adachi, “Blue-light-emitting ZnSe random laser,” Lett. Vol. 34 (2015) 3923.
- X Yang, G Feng, K Yao, J Yi, H Zhang and S Zhou, “Random lasing of microporous surface of Cr2+:ZnSe crystal induced by femtosecond laser,” AIP Adv. Vol. 5 (2015) 067160.
- H Labiadh, T B Chaabane, D Piatkowski, S Mackowski, J Lalevée, J Ghanbaja, F Aldeek and R Schneider, “Aqueous route to color-tunable Mn-doped ZnS quantum dots,” Chem. Phys. Vol. 140 (2013) 674.
- X Ma, J Song and Z Yu, “The light emission properties of ZnS:Mn nanoparticles,” Thin Solid Films, Vol. 519 (2011) 5043.
- Z Rui, L Yingbo and S Shuqing, “Synthesis and characterization of high-quality colloidal Mn2+-doped ZnS nanoparticles,” Mater. Vol. 34 (2012) 1788.
- F Shuzhen, Z Xingyu, W Qingpu, Z Chen, W Zhengping and L Ruijun, “Inflection point of the spectral shifts of the random lasing in dye solution with TiO2 nanoscatterers,” Phys. D: Appl. Phys. Vol. 42 (2009) 015105.
- J Kitur, G Zhu, M Bahoura and M A Noginov, “Dependence of the random laser behavior on the concentrations of dye and scatterers,” Opt. Vol. 12 (2010) 024009.
- B H Zhang, F Y Wu, Y M Wu and X S Zhan, “Fluorescent method for the determination of sulfide anion with ZnS:Mn quantum dots,” Fluorescence, Vol. 20 (2010) 243.
- A S Wiresma, A Lagendijk, “Lasing diffusion with gain and random lasers”, Rev. E Vol. 54 (1996) 4256.
- A L Moura, R B Silva, C T Dominguez, É Pecoraro, A S L Gomes and C B de Araújo, “Single bead near-infrared random laser based on silica-gel infiltrated with Rhodamine 640,” Appl. Phys. Vol. 123, (2018) 133104.