Document Type : Original Article
Department of Physics, Faculty of Physics, Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
We develop a model to study how invasion front depends on the relevant properties of a cellular environment. To do so, we use a nonlinear reaction-diffusion equation, the Fisher equation, to model the population dynamics. Our study is intended to understand how heterogeneity in the cellular environment's stiffness, as well as spatial correlations in its morphology, given that the existence of both has been demonstrated by experiments, affects the properties of the invasion front. It is demonstrated that three important factors affect the properties of the front; these are the spatial distribution of the local diffusion coefficients, the correlations between them, and R/D, the ratio of the cells' duplication rate R to the cells' average diffusion coefficient D. Analyzing the scaling properties of the Fisher equation invasion front, we show that , contrary to several previous claims, invasion fronts, including those of tumors and cancerous cells colonies, cannot be described by the well-known model of kinetic growth, such as the Kardar-Parisi-Zhang equation.
- K S Korolev, J B Xavier, and J Gore, Nature Reviews Cancer 14, 5 (2014) 371.
- J D Murray, “Mathematical biology: I. An introduction” Springer Science & Business Media. (2007).
- D L DeAngelis and V Grimm, “Individual-based models in ecology after four decades.” F1000prime reports 6 (2014)
- A Morozov and J C Poggiale, Ecological Complexity 10 (2012) 1.
- R A Fisher, 1937. Annals of eugenics 7, 4 (1937) 355.
- G Birzu, O Hallatschek, and K S Korolev, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115, 16 (2018) E3645.
- Y Azimzade, M Sasar, and V M P García, “Environmental Disorder Regulation of Invasion and Genetic Loss”. arXiv preprint arXiv:1908.02532, (2019).
- K M A Yong, Z Li, S D Merajver, and J Fu, Scientific reports 7, 1 (2017) 1.
- A Brú, S Albertos, J L Subiza, J L García-Asenjo, and I Brú, Biophysical journal 85, 5 (2003) 2948.
- M A C Huergo, M A Pasquale, A E Bolzán, A J Arvia, and P H González, Phys. Rev. E 82 (2010) 031903 .
- J Pérez-Beteta, D Molina-García, A Martínez-González, A Henares-Molina, M Amo, B Luque, E Arregui, M Calvo, J M Borrás, J Martino, et al., European Radiology (2018) 1.
- D Wirtz, K Konstantopoulos, and P C Searson, Nature Reviews Cancer 11, 7 (2011) 512.
- M Plodinec, M Loparic, C A Monnier, E C Obermann, R Zanetti-Dallenbach, P Oertle, J T Hyotyla, U Aebi, M Bentires-Alj, R Y Lim, et al., Nature Nanotechnology 7, 11 (2012) 757.
- S Kondo and T Miura, science 329, 5999 (2010) 1616.
- A A Anderson, Math.Med. Biol. 22 (2005) 163.
- P Haridas, C J Penington, J A McGovern, D S McElwain, and M J Simpson, J. Theor. Biol. 423 (2017) 13.
- T H Keitt, Landscape Ecology 15, 5 (2000) 479.
Y. Azimzade, A A. Saberi, and M Sahimi,. 2018. Scientific reports 8, 1 (2018) 1.