Document Type : Original Article
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science, Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, Ahvaz, Iran
In this research, silica aerogel was made by sol-gel method with sodium silicate precursor and drying at ambient temperature. The silica aerogel prepared by this method is superhydrophobic. To make it hydrophilic, the sample was heated at 400 °C for 2 h. The structure of the samples was studied using X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, adsorption and desorption of nitrogen gas. To investigate the hydrophilicity and hydrophobicity of the samples, the water droplet contact surface test was performed. The chemical bonds of the prepared samples were studied using Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. The overall results showed that the size of the particles and the pores increase and become smaller, respectively when the hydrophilicity of the silica aerogel sample changes to the hydrophobic sample. The angle of contact of the water droplet with the surface of the hydrophobic sample is 170°, while reaches to 51° for the hydrophilic sample.
- S He, D Huang, H Bi, and Z Li, Non-Cryst. Solids. 410 (2015) 58.
- J Fricke and T Tillotson, Thin Solid Films 297 (1997) 212.
- A Du, B Zhou, Z Zhang, and J Shen, Materials 6, 3 (2013) 941.
- M Aegerter, N Leventis, and M Koebel, “aerogels handbook”. Springer New York. (2011).
- H Han, W Wei, Z Jiang, J Lu, J Zhu, and J Xie, Colloids Surf A. 509 (2016) 539.
- G Liu, R Yang, M Li, Non-Cryst. Solids. 356 (2010) 250.
- T Y Wei, C Yu Kuo, Y J Hsu, S Yuan Lu, and Y Cheng Chang, Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 112 (2008) 580.
- T Y Wei, T F Chang, S Yuan Lu, and Y Cheng Chang, Am.Ceram. Soc. 90 (2007) 2003.
- X Lu, M C Arduinischuster, J Kuhn, O Nilsson, J Fricke, and R W Pekala, Science. 255 (1992) 971.
- M Tabata, I Adachi, Y Ishii, H Kawai, T Sumiyoshi, and H Yokogawa, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A. 623 (2010) 339.
- J Gross, J Fricke, and L W Hrubesh, Acoust.Soc. Am. 91 (1992) 2004.
- L W Hrubesh, L E Keene, and V R Latorre, Mater. Res. 8 (1993) 1736.
- M Schmidt, F Schwertfeger, Non-Cryst. Solids. 225 (1998) 364.
- J E Amonette, J Matyas, Microporous Mesoporous Mater.250(2017) 100.
- S Meng, J Zhang, W Chen, X Wang, and M Zhu, Microporous and Mesoporous Mater. 273 (2019) 294.
- E Strobach, B Bhatia, S Yang, L Zhao, and E N Wang, Non- Cryst. Solids. 462 (2017) 72.
- U K H Bangi, A Parvathy Rao, H Hirashima, and AVenkateswara Rao, Sol- Gel Scii Technol. 50 (2009) 87.
- Q. Zeng, Results in Physics. 10 (2018) 588.
- M V Khedkar, S B Somvanshi, A V Humbe, and K M Jadhavو Non-Cryst. Solids. 511 (2019) 140.
- D B Mahadik, A Venkateswara Rao, A Parvathy Rao, P B Wagh, S V Ingale, and Satish C Gupta, colloid and interface science 356 (2011) 298.
- M Firoozmandan, J Moghaddas, and N Yasrebi, J. Sol-Gel Sci Technol. 79 (2016) 67.