Document Type : Original Article
Physics and Accelerators Research School, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute, Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Northen Kargar St., Tehran, Iran
In this study, the effect of point defects on the thermal conductivity of UO2 is investigated. Especially, the effects of oxygen vacancy and interstitial are considered. Thermal conductivity of UO2, UO2+0.25 and UO2-0.25 is calculated by solving the phonon Boltzmann equation (BTE) under the relaxation time approximation (RTA). The results show that introducing any defects to the lattice structure of UO2 decreases thermal conductivity significantly. In addition, the results show that the variation of the thermal conductivity of UO2-0.25 is much lower than that of UO2+0.25 in the temperature interval of 300 to 1000 Kelvin.
- A Resnick, K Mitchell, J Park, E B Farfán, T Yee, Eng. Technol. 51 (2019) 1398.
- J Park, E B Farfán, K Mitchell, A Resnick, C Enriquez, T Yee, Nucl. Mater. 504 (2018) 198.
- J Park, E B Farfán, C Enriquez, Eng. Technol. 50 (2018) 731.
- W Breitung, Nucl. Mater. 74 (1978)10.
- K Kim, D Olander, Nucl. Mater. 102 (1981)192.
- P Lucuta, H Matzke, R Verrall, Nucl. Mater. 223 (1995) 51.
- J Pakarinen, M Khafizov, L He, C Wetteland, J Gan, A T Nelson, D H Hurley, A El-Azab, T R Allen, Nucl. Mater. 454 (2014) 283.
- T Watanabe, S G Srivilliputhur, P K Schelling, J S Tulenko, S B Sinnott, S R Phillpot, Am. Ceram. Soc. 92 (2009) 850.
- K Mitchell, J Park, A Resnic, H Horner, E B Farfan, Sci. 10 (2020) 1860.
- S Sheykhi, M Payami, M R Basaadat, “Thermal Conductivity of UO2 with Considering Hubbard Approximation and Solving Photon-Boltzmann Transport Equation”, Presented in the 5th computational physics conference, Iran, Qazvin, 1400. (Persion)
- S Sheykhi, M Payami, M R Basaadat, “Calculation of Lattice Thermal Conductivity of UO2+0.25 by Solving Phonon Boltzmann Equation” , Presented in the ICNST, Iran, Tehran, 1400.
- S Sheykhi, M Payami, M R Basaadat, “Study of Thermal Conductivity of UO2-0.25 by Solving Phonon Boltzmann Equation” , Presented in the annual physics conference of Iran 1401, Zahedan (Persion).
- W Neil Ashcroft, Solid State Physics, (Cambridge University Press), 1990.
- M Omini, A Sparavigna, Physica B: Condensed Matter 212 (2) (1995) 101.
- L Linsday, D A Broido, N Mingo, Rev. B 82 (2012) 161402.
- W Li, L Linsday, D A Broido, D A Stewart, N Mingo, Rev. B 86 (2012) 174307.
- N Mingo, D A Stewart, D A Broido, L Linsday, W Li, Ab initio thermal transport, in Length-Scale Dependent Phonon Interactions (Springer, 2014) 137.
- M Idiri, T Le Bihan, S Heathman, J Rebizant, Physical Review B 70 (1) (2004) 014113.
- S Sheykhi, M Payami, IJPR 20 (1) (1399) (Persion)
- S Sheykhi, M Payami, Iran J Sci Technol Trans 44 (2020) 1585.
- S Sheykhi, M Payami, Physica C: Superconductivity and its Applications 549 (2018) 93.
- J D Gale, A L Rohl, Simul. 29 (2003) 291.
- T Tadano, Y Goha, and S Tsuneyuki, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 26 (2014) 225402.
- J B Conway, R M Fincel, and R A Hein, Am. Nucl. Soc. 6 (1963) 1553.
- C Ronchi, M Sheindlin, M Musella and G J Hyland, App. Phys. 85 (1999) 776.
- J L Bates, C E McNeilly, J J Rasmussen, Sci. Res. 5 (1971) 11.
- T Godfrey, W Fulkerson, T Kollie, J Moore, D McElroy, of the American Ceramic Society 48 (6) (1965) 297.