Document Type : Original Article
Department of Laser and Optical Engineering, University of Bonab, Bonab, Iran
Faculty of Physics, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran
In this paper, the electrical control of the lateral shift of the reflected beams from a pseudo-isotropic nanocomposite structurally chiral slab is investigated, theoretically. The medium is made of a pseudo-isotropic chiral material where the silver nanoparticles are dispersed randomly inside it. The results show that the structure does not have any photonic bandgap in the absence of a low-frequency electric field and the lateral shift of the reflected beam from the structure is negligible. By the application of a low-frequency electric field, a photonic bandgap appears in the transmission spectra of the structure which only prevents the propagation of the right-handed circularly polarized waves. The giant positive and negative lateral shifts are observed at the edges of this bandgap. The mentioned properties of the structure have been used in the design of the electro-optical switches. Also, it has been shown that the lateral shifts can be controlled by varying the light incidence angle, the filling fraction of metallic nanoparticles, and the thickness of the slab.
- A Namdar, R Talebzadeh, and K Jamshidi-Ghaleh, Laser. Technol 49 (2013) 183.
- M Cheng, et al., B 31 (2014) 2325.
- K Artmann, Der. Physik 437 (1948) 87.
- MA Porras, Commun 135 (1997) 369.
- A Haibel, G Nimtz, and AA Stahlhofen, Rev. E 63 (2001) 047601.
- YS Dadoenkova, et al., Photonic Nanostruct 11 (2013) 345.
- D Zhao, et al., Quantum. Electron 50 (2018) 323.
- T Tang, et al., Phys. B 122 (2016) 1.
- K V Sreekanth, et al., Opt. Mater 7 (2019) 1900081.
- H Horng, et al., Phys. Lett 85 (2004) 5592.
- Y Wang, Y Liu, and B Wang, Microstruct 60 (2013) 240.
- Y Bludov, M Vasilevskiy, and N Peres, Appl. Phys 112 (2012) 084320.
- A Namdar, IV Shadrivo, and YS Kivshar, Rev. A 75 (2007) 053812.
- A Madani and S Roshan Entezar, Superlattice. Microst 86 (2015) 105.
- Q You, et al., Mater. Express 8 (2018) 3036.
- F Wang and A Lakhtakia, Commun 235 (2004) 107.
- K Robbie, MJ Brett, and A Lakhtakia, Nature 384 (1996) 616.
- S Shirin, A Madani, and S Roshan Entezar, Mater 107 (2020) 110026.
- S Shirin, A Madani, and S Roshan Entezar, Scr 95 (2020) 095504.
- J Mendoza, J Reyes and, C Avendaño, Rev. A 94 (2016) 053839.
- J Fergason, Cryst 1 (1966) 293.
- H Finkelmann, et al., Mater 13 (2001) 1069.
- A Lakhtakia and R Messier, “Sculptured Thin Films: Nanoengineered Morphology and Optics”, SPIE (2005).
- I J Hodgkinson, et al., Commun 239 (2004) 353.
- A Lakhtakia, Microw. Technol. Lett. 34 (2002) 5. J A Reyes and A Lakhtakia, Opt. Commun 259 (2006) 164.
- C Avendano, I Molina, and J Reyes Cryst 40 (2013) 172.
- I Abdulhalim, Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt 1 (1999) 646.
- D Berreman, B Laboratories, and M Hill, Opt. Soc. Am 63 (1973) 1374.
- I V Shadrivov, et al., Express 13 (2005) 481.
- J He, Yi J and, S He, Express 14 (2006) 3024.
- R Boyd, “Nonlinear Optics”, USA: Academic, (2008).